The summary of information presented on Community Indicators was prepared for a presentation to the Human Services Network by the Branch-Hillsdale-St. Joseph Community Health Agency in April 2002.
SOME BACKGROUND INFORMATION:
- One goal of the Human Services Network for 2000-2002 is to, “Establish ongoing community asset mapping and assessment of needs through a measure of indicators."
- To accomplish this goal, an Indicator Team was created to identify community indicators which could be routinely tracked to examine past and current trends.
The Indicator Team kept in mind the four life domain work groups of the HSN and their stated goals.
The four life domains and their stated goals are:
- Children Birth to Five: Children will have optimal development by age five.
- School Age Children: School age children are healthy, safe and engaged in life-long learning.
- Adults: Adults are healthy, happy and connected to their community.
- Seniors: Senior citizens are at home, safe, independent and healthy.
The Indicator Team focused on five different aspects of life:
The team tried to identify at least one indicator for each of these life aspects for all four of the life domains.