Home

HISTORY INDEX>Moscow Village

The Village of Moscow
West view, Hotel on the right, Franklyn Hall next Since the years of Moscow`s hayday,
the changes have been mainly due to
buildings being torn down and not
replaced with new structures.


Click here to view full size picture
Moscow School house, built in 1867 was torn down and a new building erected in 1930.
Old Moscow Church- torn down for fire station [Click here to view full size picture]
Old Hotel while an antique shop [Click here to view full size picture]
Moscow Plains Church 3 mi. west [Click here to view full size picture]
The Moscow Plains Church, located three
miles southwest of the village on U.S.12
Click here to view full size picture
Ca. 1905, corner of Chicago Road and West Street, this corner building has always been a store of some kind, it is presently a convenience store and one of two business places in the village.
Joe Tallis Store 1950`s [Click here to view full size picture]
Tallis Store,50 years later
East and Walworths store [Click here to view full size picture]
The Walworth General Store sold farm machinery also, This building is owned By The Masonic Lodge and is used solely by the members.(note)team of white mules pulling high wagon is shown going the other way in top photo. 1905
William Rynyx [Click here to view full size picture]
William E. Rynex (1806-1880)
came to the Moscow area from
Ryne Corners, New York
in 1842.
Moscow School bldg. at pres [Click here to view full size picture]
The Moscow School house, built in 1930,only went to the eighth grade,the right half was added in the forties, was closed and sold in the fifties when the district became consolidated, it is now a residence.
Bickford Family [Click here to view full size picture]
The Bickford Family of Moscow, William (Bill) as he was
known,(4th.fr.left.) never married, was a house painter,
paperhanger, sold fish and also hunting and fishing
licenses out of his home on Moscow Rd.
Click here to view full size picture
The Moscow Hotel & Tavern
If there was one building in Hillsdale County that should have been saved from the wrecking ball, it would be this Colonial styled building as it likely would be the oldest in existence today.(The "1826," the owner had painted on the siding was incorrect by six years.)Tore down at the age of 138 as it was in sad disrepair.
Russell R. McGee
Click here to view full size picture
During the cold war, Moscow enjoyed some limelite
as the Detroit papers featured the little town in their
Sunday pictorial magazines, expounding on the fact
that Moscow was "off limits" to Russians from the
Soviet Union.
Nellie the Manequin [Click here to view full size picture]
Nellie the mannequin was an eye catcher, she beckoned many to visit her antique shop through the 40`s & 50`s
Click here to view full size picture
The first grist and flower mill,owned by The Fowle family,decendents of Charles Fowle, former Township Supervisor was located 1/2 mi. south on the mill pond and branch of the Kalamazoo river, now owned by the Truitt family.
The building sucumbed to the elements years ago.
Click here to view full size picture
The first Buick in Moscow, (Imagine the envy!)Owner unknown.
Bob Reiniche [Click here to view full size picture]
Robert Reiniche, 17 of Hanover,
shown in front of the Moscow Hotel, with
what is believed to be the last wolf taken
in Southern Michigan,the year, 1937.
(photo,courtesy of James Sauber)

For the Moscow story "CLICK"
Click here to view full size picture
South side left to right,Fred Kies Grocery,
Haskels Grocery and Restaurant,
Al Treaces Garage,(later became Mayo`s), The U.S.Post
Office and residence of The Postmaster,
The present owners removed the restaurant part of the
corner store building and is now an attractive residence
but the others remain today with no business done in any.
The Post Office is in a newer building to the west.1920`s
Steam engine [Click here to view full size picture]
Steam engine and seperator, ready for "thashin" grain, was a familiar sight in the fall here in Hillsdale County, These rigs would go from farm to farm until all the grain was in for the season. Yours truely recalls those fine meals of mashed taters & gravy, chicken or roast beef and fresh baked bread & biscuits with fresh churned butter, prepared by the lady folks, as a young lad i worked at it myself, Russell McGee

Click here to view full size picture
This typical passenger car was a familiar sight in Moscow during the years the town was served by the road, this Lakeshore & Michigan Southern photo is believed taken in Hillsdale during an unknown celebration.

Agriculture
Business & Industry
Economic Development
Hometown Partnerships
Community Services
Cultural Resources
Education
History
Natural Resources & Recreation
Test Area
Information
Planning & Zoning in Michigan
Tools & Techniques
Laws & References