The Hillsdale Elgin Creamery was organized January, 1903 and a building was erected on north Union Street to accomodate the business. The plant in Hillsdale and the skimming station which was maintained at Allen represented an investment of $8,000.
The annual business amounted to $65,000. It was estimated that 90 percent of this found its way into Hillsdale merchants coffers.
For the amount of business done in a year, it employed the least help and was operated the most economically of any manufacturing facility in Hillsdale.
Frank Smith the secretary and manager was his own stenographer and bookkeeper, besides superintending the operation of the plant.
There were fourteen routes with 425 patrons which furnished cream. Nearly 600 pounds of butter was churned daily. The bulk of the finished product found its way into New York City but some went to Cleveland.
In 1908, 996,470 pounds of milk and 407,522 pounds of cream were recieved and the number of pounds of butter churned were 197,173.
The officers of the company were, L.A. Goodrich, President; F.A. Roethlisberger, treasurer; and Frank Smith, secretary and manager. The directors were L.A. Goodrich, E.A. Dibble and Joel B. Haynes. The company was incorporated and had 77 stockholders.
The Elgin Creamery stood where the Progressive gas station now stands (1976).
In later years the Creamery was owned by Harry Dimmers.
Account from; 150 Years in the Hills and Dales vol.2